I am blessed to have grown up in a creative family. They created with words, music, photography, wood-work, clothing, doll-making, plants & gardens, food, machinery, etc. Our home was an amazing place. Personally, I loved to draw and preserve memories. I seriously considered going to art school, but I fell in love with teaching and now I teach mathematics at university. Life is funny sometimes, isn’t it? Anyway, I continued to play around with scrapbooking as the years went by; however, it’s only been in the last year that I seriously got back in touch with my creative roots. I’ve never been so happy. I am excited to have found and be inspired by this wonderfully talented online community. Many thanks to everyone at Country View Challenges for being a part of that inspiration :) — Mary Elizabeth
It is finally feeling like Spring in the mountains of North Carolina and I am celebrating the new “Natures Glories” challenge theme by creating my own lovely bouquet of Daffodils. At the time I began experimenting with my floral creations, we were still having snow and I was dreadfully tired of the cold. I used Tim Holtz’s Composer Tissue Wrap to create the almost translucent petals. I mixed some of Tim’s Distress Ink with Matte Multi Medium and painted that on the tissue wrap to give it a little more durability when I die cut the petals from Tim’s Tatter Flower Garland. The daffodil centers are just a half circle that rolled up to form a cone with some small pearls on the inside. I could not help myself, I grunged my flowers up a bit. I made the stems out of plastic drinking straws that were covered with more tissue wrap and tissue tape.
I wanted to display my flowers in a special vase, so I tried a Wendy Vecchi technique that I learned in Creative Chemistry 102. I covered a plain glass vase and painted it with Matte Glue and Seal and Rock Candy Crackle Paint. The faux cracked glass look turned out fabulous. I then decided I wanted the glass to have a little color. After trying several ways to color the glass and/or the crackled finish, I finally ended up lightly coloring the crackled finish with a Salty Ocean Distress Marker.
This project kept me going on those snowy gray days. I hope others will enjoy it as well.